Well, it’s here. That time of year that is so wondrously celebrated by some and dreaded by others: St. Valentine’s Day.
If you are single, take heart. Please don’t fall into a pit of despair. When I was single on Valentine’s (every year of my life until this year, by the way), I always enjoyed the day, and I’ve cooked up these little tips to making St. Valentine’s fun for the single gal:
1. Dress up. Wear your favorite shirt or those jeans that fit you so well. Add a pop of color to your lips. Style your hair differently. Primp and embrace your beauty.
2. Go to Mass or Adoration. The Lord, the Author of Life, loves YOU. Make a date with him. Spend time with the Eternal Lover.
Still feeling down? Meditate on this:
The happiness you are seeking,
the happiness you have a right to enjoy,
has a name and a face:
Jesus of Nazareth.
– Pope Benedict XVI, August 18, 2005
3. Give out Valentine’s Day cards, especially to your single friends. They don’t have to be fancy – the ones you distributed during elementary school work just fine. I have been surprised and touched to visit friends in other states and see my Valentine’s Day card posted in a prominent space. You can touch the lives of others with a simple note!
4. Call your family and tell them you love them. You are single, not alone.
5. Host a wine and chocolate movie night…BUT…no men-bashing allowed. I know, you’ve been hurt. Burned. Or you’re lonely. You’ve heard bad stories, and you want to write all men off as jerks. But that’s not fair. And this is a night of enjoyment! Bitterness is not welcome. If some idiot didn’t realize how great you are, well, good riddance. Rejoice that you’re not with him.
6. However, if you need to have a quick cry, do, and then move on.
7. Affirm the good men in your life. Our culture encourages permanent Peter Pan behavior. Know a guy or two who doesn’t buy into that? Thank him. Nice guys need to know we recognize them and value them.
8. When you see a coupley-couple, and you have the urge to either puke or rage, pray instead. “God bless them,” works well.
9. Pray for your vocation and your future husband.
O Raphael, lead us towards those we are waiting for, those who are waiting for us! Raphael, Angel of Happy Meetings and Catholic singles, lead us by the hand towards those we are looking for! May all our movements, all their movements, be guided by your Light and transfigured by your Joy.
Angel Guide of Tobias, lay the request we now address to you at the feet of Him on whose unveiled Face you are privileged to gaze. Lonely and tired, crushed by the separations and sorrows of earth, we feel the need of calling to you and of pleading for
the protection of your wings, so that we may not be as strangers in the Province of Joy, all ignorant of the concerns of our country. Remember the weak, you who are strong–you whose home lies beyond the region of thunder, in a land that is always peaceful, always serene, and bright with the resplendent glory of God.
Happy St. Valentine’s Day! May you know you are loved!
Please feel free to leave comments, concerns, and pray requests in the combox.